Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Big Dreams

My definition of wealth isn't a big house or real jewelry or even a luxury car*.

No, none of those will make me feel like I've hit the big time.

Here's what will.



When I go shopping and laundry soap is on my list I'll head straight for the Tide** and I won't even think twice. I'll throw that big ol' economy size jug in my cart and I might even go crazy and get TWO!

Yep, laundry soap does it for me.

It's the unmistakable Tide smell and the fact that our clothes always, always come out clean.

Right now Tide is out of our budget. It's just so expensive. Yes, it does work really great. Consumer Reports consistently rates it as the top laundry detergent, but I can't justify that kind of cost when we're watching every dollar.

It's kinda funny that something silly like laundry soap would be such a motivator but it is, at least for me. I want to be at the point in my financial life when a price difference of $6 won't feel like a make or break decision.

Of course I could also look for Tide on the black market. Seriously. It's a "commonly shoplifted and resold good" (CR, 19). But I'm thinking that might have moral implications, I'm not sure how I'd feel about doing laundry with ill- gotten super powered laundry magic.

*let the record state that I would never say no to any of those things, assuming of course we had the cash for them...

**I know this post read like an ad but I promise, I wasn't paid to say any of these things. I just really love Tide. It's like liquid laundry gold, except it's blue and smells like heaven. I don't know what gold smells like.

Consumer Reports. September 2015.

No comments: