Monday, May 4, 2015

Book Review: Born to Win by Dr Kevin Leman

As the oldest of 5 I've always been the bossy, demanding one of the family. Just ask my siblings. I like to tell other people what to do (even when I don't know what I'm doing), I like to be the advice giver and I like to be the one in charge. I also recognize that those qualities aren't always helpful.

Dr. Kevin Leman is known for writing about and studying birth order. In his book Born to Win: how to keep your firstborn edge without losing your balance he says "although it's impossible to pigeonhole everyone into airtight compartments, at the same time it's true that most firstborns tend to display certain characteristics, as do most middleborns and lastborns"(Leman, p. 15).

The oldest child tends to be ambitious but always under great pressure. She/ he gets things done and knows where they are going because they've made a plan but they can also become boxed in and be a slave to the list.

Greg is the middle child and he's very calm and definitely a peacemaker. I'm sort of the opposite. Learning how to balance our different personalities is a constant balancing act. I'm trying to learn to stop and consult and counsel with my husband because it's in my personality to just go and do. I figure things out as I go along but he's not like that.

On almost every page of Born to Win I said things like "oh, I get it" or "that's why I'm like that". Absolutely fascinating.

If you're the oldest child or if you have an oldest or you're married to an oldest or if there's an oldest in the world that you kinda like (I think I covered everyone), get this book. Definitely worth the read.

*thanks to my local library for this copy.

No comments: