Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Hmmm...

I am not always the best husband and father in the world. Sometimes the kids make me crazy so I yell and get frustrated. Sometimes I make Kristen crazy when I say things or don't do something. I want to be a better husband and father but life happens sometimes. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone either, I think we've all felt like we're doing the best we can and it's just not good enough.

Why does this happen, especially to generally good people who are trying hard to be the best they can? I think it's a lot of things. I know sometimes when I am hungry I am a little uptight and can be more snarky. I might be thinking about something and Kristen or the kids ask a question and I answer without paying attention. It could be what type of mood I'm in right that second. Or it could be Christmas day and the kids are running around and jumping on things from the massive sugar intake. Dealing with the sugar/ activity crash requires serious patience. Those are a few of the things that affect my well being, I know for sure there are a lot of things that affect my state of mind.

But here's what I do know: no matter how deep a hole we are in because of something said or not done, no matter how insane the kids are, basically no matter what, there's hope. I feel that as long as I am trying to do my best and striving to serve those around me, things seem to work out. That is of course as long as we don't stop trying.

We do have to recognize when we did something wrong. We do have to make an effort to correct the problem. If we do those things along with caring about the people around us and trying to serve them. That's when I think we overcome our challenges. That's when we win at life and at our marriages and our families.

It is the same with our finances. Sometimes we get distracted and forget to budget. Other times we feel like we deserve something so we purchase it. I am hungry so I can’t wait five minutes until I get home to make a sandwich. Things happen and life happens. Sometimes it can turn into a big hairy mess (our story) but it's never beyond hope, I have a sure knowledge of that.

If we at least start and if we try to make a budget and pay things off it works out. When we do the best we can with the money God gives us it is certain to work out. Kristen and I have made such tremendous strides this past year and a half. We have paid off so many debts. All because we decided to not let our past mistakes define our future. I know it works. I know it will work for you. Let me throw in a rodeo analogy here; take that leap of faith, grab your financial steer by the horns and wrestle it to the ground!


No comments: