Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Summer Fun: swimming with 5 kids

this was just last year! too little!
by Kristen

I guess that title kinda sounds like a paradox... okay, sometimes it's not fun but most of the time the pool is our favorite summer spot.

But I'm outnumbered. Big time. So here's how we make it work (usually).

Do

  • get everyone ready at home; swimsuits, sunscreen. You can do all of that before you leave. I also wait until we get home to have everyone change out of their suits. Well except for Maggie, she gets changed at the pool because those swim diapers are super absorbent. I think she gains 10 pounds every time she swims, no small thing since she just barely topped 20!
  • bring a snack, but just a small one. I'm talking a package of graham crackers or a bag of grapes. Oh, and don't forget water (I bring a jug and small plastic cups, it's easier than water bottles for everyone). You could bring money to buy treats at the concession stand but I'm too cheap for that!
  • stay halfway packed. I have a bag that always stays loaded with sunscreen, earplugs, goggles, swim pass, stuff like that. The towels and blanket get folded up as soon as they're dry and get put in the back of the suburban.
  • make the kids help. Even the littlest carried her towel today. It did take her forever to walk but I'm thinking that's because she's easily distracted. You're not a pack mule, don't act like it.
Don't
  • bring tons of toys, one or two is fine, more than that is too much to keep track of 
  • stay too long, you can come back the next day, less is more
  • think about yourself. No one cares what you look like so just enjoy your time being in the water and playing with your kids. That's the kind of mom that looks the best.
  • forget to put on sunscreen. I'm an ace at making sure the kids are covered but I forget about myself. And then the next day I remember. Ouch!
  • count on the lifeguards to watch your kids. That's your job, take it seriously.
  • forget to have fun. Kids grow up way too fast. Pretty soon they won't want to hang out at the pool with Momma so enjoy this busy season.
I love summer. It's nice to slow down and not have a packed agenda. Enjoy whatever it is you do and STAY SAFE!!!

No comments: