Monday, June 1, 2015

Book Review: Founding Mothers- the women who raised our nation

I have a problem. If I sit down to read a great novel than I'm trapped until it's over. I can tune out cries for Mom, requests for homework help, probably a fire alarm and the kids might get cereal for dinner if it's a really good book.

Okay, so I'd probably hear the fire alarm but it would take a minute or two to pull myself back to reality. So the way I still get my reading fix is to find interesting non- fiction, something you've probably noticed if you've been reading this blog for any length of time. I can read a chapter or two of a great non- fiction book and then walk away, I don't feel that same compelling urge to finish the story. But the trick is to find one that isn't textbook boring.  

I've found a few gems along the way. Founding Mothers: the women who raised our nation by Cokie Roberts is funny and informative.

Writing about John and Abigail Adam's frequent letters, she says "John's advice when Abigail wrote describing the British preparations for war? If it got really dangerous, 'fly to the woods with our children.'. Thank you very much. She must have wanted to throttle him."

Or did you know that Benedict Arnold, the Revolutionary War traitor was married to a woman that was just as guilty as he was? His wife, Margaret Shippen Arnold used her correspondence to her friends to pass information to the British about the American's plans. Fascinating.

All through the book it's clear that the women played a vital role in the founding of this great nation. They didn't have the right to vote or to fight or even to own their own property but they did incredible things. They gave birth to children in horrific conditions and often buried them, they raised their children that did survive and ran their husband's farms and businesses on their own and they did all of this while a war was being fought right in their cities and towns. 

At the very end of the book George Washington wrote "Nor would I rob the fairer sex of their share in the glory of a revolution so honorable to human nature, for indeed, I think you ladies are in the number of the best patriots America can boast". 

Well said, George, well said. 

No comments: